Tomato pie is a special treat at camp, usually only served at the Birthday Ball - our fanciest meal! This is southern comfort food at its finest, but why wait for a special occasion? It’ll make any Wednesday night dinner just a little more special, and remind you of your fondest camp memories!
Makes 1 pie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups parmesan shredded
- 2 cups parmesan grated
- 2 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 7 medium size tomatoes sliced (not too thick)
- 2 medium size sweet onions sliced thin
- 4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbls each of pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic mixed in a bowl
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350°. Add the flour and salt to a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with your hands until the butter pieces are roughly the size of a dime. Add about half of the water and mix with you hands. Keep adding a small amount of water until you can press the dough and it doesn’t fall apart. You should be able to press the dough ball flat without a lot of cracking around the outside edge. You may not need to use all the water.
- Spray a sheet pan with some nonstick spray and dust it with a little flour. Place the dough ball in the sheet pan and press it flat. Using a rolling pin or something cylindrical like your Hydroflask, spread the dough out to all of the edges. Prick the dough all over with a fork so that it won’t form bubbles when cooking and bake it in a 350º oven for 10 -12 minutes until slightly brown. Then set aside to cool.
- Goop: Place all the goop ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until they are all combined.
- Assemble the pie: Once the pie crust is cool, spread a layer of goop on the crust. On top of the goop, layer onions, tomatoes, seasoning mix, mozzarella cheese, in that order. Repeat the steps again: goop, onions, tomatoes, seasoning and mozzarella. You won’t be able to spread the goop this time so just break it apart over the top as best you can.
- Place pie in the oven uncovered at 350º for 20 minutes and then turn the oven up to 400º for 10 minutes.
Enjoy, but don’t burn you mouth!