Greystone's first summer! Located on Greystone Mountain in Tennessee, camp had 84 campers enrolled.
Greystone's first summer! Located on Greystone Mountain in Tennessee, camp had 84 campers enrolled.
Dr. Sevier buys the Tuxedo, NC property and begins building. Campers enjoy their first Rest Hour (called "quiet hour").
Greystone's first summer in Tuxedo, NC! For that first summer, Dr. Sevier initally built the Dining Hall, Pavilion, and designed the Pageant Court.
Girls enjoyed many favorite traditions for the first time including the Riding meet, a water carnival, and the first banquet theme.
At Banquet, girls in 1923 celebrated the Best All 'Round award, Watersports Cup, and Riding Cup for the first time.
Campers enjoyed the first Queen of Love and Beauty pageant in its inagural year. For this first Queens Ball, one camper was chosen as the Queen of Love and another as the Queen of Beauty.
Campers enjoyed the Peter Pan Banquet in 1927. Peter Pan would end up being the most frequent Banquet theme, having been repeated six times in the past 100 years.
Campers enjoy the very first Birthday Ball!
The very first Landsports Cup is given at the Banquet celebration.
Enrollments reach an all-time high with 153 campers enrolled. Song Round the Blazing Council Fire's Light is written in 1930.
The popular Archery class gives out a Banquet Cup for the first time. Enrollment numbers drop to 89 due to the Great Depression.
Virginia Hanna marries Joe Hanna that September.
Sally Sutherland designs the Green and Gold booklet cover, creating the design that we still use today.
Greystone girls sing new song The Call of the Fire for the first time.
Mary "B" Bostick comes to Greystone, starting her 42 year tenure as the Landsports Department Head.
The Queen of Love and Beauty pageant transitions to be composed of a King of Love, a Queen of Beauty, attendants (senior campers), and pages (junior campers).
Libby Hanna is born to Virginia and Joe Hanna.
The Hanna's purchased their Grey Lodge property on Lake Summit, which Greystone girls enjoyed for decades.
Greystone enjoys its 20th summer!
After many difficult years during the Great Depression, Dr. Sevier can see the change that is coming to the country and to Greystone. Enrollments being to rise once again.
The Odds and Evens teams tie for the first time with a score of 1912 to 1912.
Campers sing Greystone is the Very Place for Sweet Young Girls to Go for the first time in 1940.
Greystone is featured in Life Mazgazine with an article on the charms of attending camp in the South.
World World II has begun, and Dr. Sevier asks parents to contribute ration stamps to purchase food for the campers. Campers help the war effort by participating in a local drive to pick beans during a labor shortage.
Greystone celebrates its 25th anniversary! Polio grips the nation, causing a polio quarantine at camp. No one entered or left the gates of Greystone. All deliveries were left at the front gate.
At the end of 1944, both Dr. and Mrs. Sevier pass away, leaving the camp in the hands of their daughter Virginia Hanna.
Virginia Hanna officially takes over as Senior Director of Greystone.
World War II ends on Banquet night. Many campers are more excited to learn the Banquet theme than to find out the war has ended.
Campers enjoy brand new swimming docks at Lake Summit for the first time.
Greystone experiences its second polio quarantine. During this time, they did not let anyone leave the Greystone property, including staff on their days off.
Virginia's song was written and sung at Banquet for the first time in 1948.
Miss Jean Agnew joins Virginia as a Director at Greystone. After serving as Head Counselor for over 15 years, Miss Jean came alongside Virginia as an equal and partner, paying attention to the details needed to keep camp running.
In 1950, campers began electing lieutenants along with captains to lead their teams. The Odds cap off a seven-year winning streak, the longest on record.
The Greystone tennis department awards a Tennis Cup at Banquet for the first time.
The popular anthem of Bless This Camp was writen in 1952.
Mary McConnell comes to Greystone for the first time as Miss Jean's secretary.
Campers enjoy Alice and Wonderland as the Banquet theme. Alice becomes the second most frequent Banquet theme, tying with Mary Poppins, both of which have been enjoyed five times in the past 100 years.
The King of Love and Queen of Beauty Pageant officially becomes the Queen of Love and Beauty Pageant, and continued as such for the next 50+ years.
Enrollments held stead with 240 campers enrolled during the 1950s. Greystone employed 50 counselors during this period.
Team competition continues to be celebrated through the singing of Hail to Greystone's Colors, written in 1958.
Greystone celebratees it's 40th summer!
Libby Hanna marries Jim Miller III in August of 1959.
Main Camp has 270 campers enrolled in 1960, its highest enrollment to date.
Katie Miller Grant is born in May.
1962 is a year when many popular songs are written: I Came to Carolina and I Saw Greystone, To The Girls We'll Not Forget them, and Boom ! Boom! There'll Be Nothing But Greystone.
Jimboy Miller is born in April.
Greystone reduces its length for the first time in history, going from an eight-week session down to a seven-week session.
Greystone girls continue to love the food in the 1960s, much like girls in decades prior. Favorites include chocolate and lemon stacks.
In the Dining Hall, Mary McConnell would pick up the tune of any song, as girls yelled "1-2-3-shhh".
Pine So Bold is sung for the first time in 1966.
Jean Agnew Churchill steps down as director, thus putting Greystone ownership back within one family once again.
Libby and Jim Miller join Mrs. Hanna as directors for the first summer.
As enrollments continue to climb, White Hall Lodge and the Dining Hall are expanded.
Greystone celebrates its 50th summer!
Cabins 6 and 8 are built, raising the total number of Cabins in 1969 to twelve. Campers also stayed in twelve Tentalows, taking the total number of living quarters to 24.
Campers watched in awe as Neil Armstrong walked on the moon for the very first time.
Popular class tennis rejoices in its first hard surface tennis court.
Libby recommits Greystone to its Christian roots, making a bold stand for camp.
Campers love new song Hello Libby, Well Hello Virginia, which is written in 1972.
Corrie ten Boom, a Holocaust survivor, visits Greystone for three weeks. This visit sparked continued Christian growth at camp, as many campers and counselors were moved by her testimony.
For the first time in Greystone's history, camp operates two sessions, opening June Camp for the first time.
Hillbilly bluegrass band Pickers begins in 1974, with many older campers learning to play the spoons and the saw.
A new Banquet song is added to the final ceremony as Libby's Song is written in 1975. Girls also enjoy new song I Am a Camper at Greystone.
America celebrates its Bicentennial Celebration, with Greystone girls joining in the festivities by ringing camp's bell at noon on July 4th, 1976.
Play productions continue to be popular among campers, with the girls enjoying Peter Pan in 1976.
In 1977, Lake Edith dries up completely.
For the first time ever, two girls tied for the award of Best All 'Round.
Greystone celebrates its 60th anniversary!
Camp adds the August Camp to its session offerings, creating a session specifically geared towards younger campers.
The Fine Arts department awards the Fine Arts Cup at Banquet for the first time.
Virginia Hanna passes the Council Fire torch to her daughter Libby Miller.
Amy Grant surprises campers at Closing Vespers, performing a concert down by the lake.
The Odds and Evens teams have their second ever tie, with both teams having a score of 4185.
The Watersports departments pass out three different Cup awards for the first time: Swimming, Canoeing, and Sailing.
Greystone celebrates its 65th summer! At the Alumnae Reunion that year, the Virginia Sevier Hanna Gymnasium is dedicated.
Katie Miller Grant joins Libby and Jim as Assistant Director.
Camp's stone Ebenezer's are added to Greystone's front entrance.
Group Leaders come on in a leadership role for the first time.
The track is built in 1985, which required the dismantling of the popular swinging bridge. JimDaddy starts the Greystone Mountain Stumblers running club for the first time.
Katie Miller Grant starts the Five Year Celebration, to honor campers who have attended Greystone for more than five summers, with three of those being at Main Camp.
The Riflery department awards the Riflery Cup for the first time at Banquet.
The Pavilion is dedicated to Mary McConnell after construction provides the building with a new foundation and lighting system.
Virginia Hanna dies in February, making 1988 the first year that Libby and Jim Miller run the camp on their own. The Honor Council Cup is given at Banquet for the first time in honor of Mrs. Hanna.
Greystone gets a swimming pool! The Lake Summit docks and bus are retired.
The Breakfast Club Song was sung for the first time in 1989.
White Hall received an update and was modernized for better use in program.
The Infirmary is renovated and renamed the Health Hut.
In 1990, Main Camp enrollments reached 370 total campers.
Jim "Jimboy" Miller IV becomes assistant director at Greystone.
Campers in 1993 became the very first campers to experience the Llama Trek, hiking and camping with llamas in the mountains.
Greystone celebrates its 75th Anniversary! The Song Contest is revived for that summer.
The climbing wall is built in 1994.
Jim and Margaret Miller become official owners and directors of Greystone.
Jim and Libby's son Stuart, along with his fellow Marines, land helicopters on the soccer field during Main Camp.
The Ropes Course is built, adding to Greystone's adventure classes.
Popular Evening Program Corn Roast gets the added addition of the Bluegrass Festival, featuring live music from popular bands.
The Palace is built, adding more camper housing to the facility.
In 1997, campers enjoyed the blob for the first time!
Camp begins selecting a summer "theme" each summer, focusing on a particular Bible verse for the year.
Upper cabins are renovated and receive the official name of The Castle.
One-week Junior Camp is added in 1999, creating a starter camp for Greystone's youngest campers. Katie Miller Grant started and ran this session.
The Fine Arts Center is built, providing a large facility to house all of the Greystone art classes.
Mary McConnell dies, and Dining Hall singing switches to cassette tape.
White Hall is renovated, creating an updated space for camper use. Showers are added to all cabins for the first time.
Greystone starts its first online blog and chat space called the "Grey Cafe."
Camper enrollments reach an all time high, with 425 campers enrolled in Main Camp.
The Dining Hall is expanded, making space for larger enrollments and new campers.
Bungalows 5 and 6 are built as well as Cabin Upper 1.
The Salad Bar is added to the Dining Room, providing even more delcious food options for campers. The Kitchen also receives a complete overhaul.
Greystone adds a Rowing program, which includes 44-foot long rowing shells.
JimDaddy publishes his Having a Great Day book. Camp also celebrated 20 years of Stumblers, led by JimDaddy.
Junior Camp adds a second session geared towards younger campers with the addition of August 2 Camp.
Greystone celebrates its 85th summer, with alumnae at the reunion experiencing 11 inches of rain from Hurricane Ivan.
The Dining Hall gets an expansive porch, creating a real focal point on Greystone's campus. The Waterpark also adds a 180-foot slide.
Campers enjoy Derby Day for the first time, a garden-party celebration of the Horseshow, complete with elegant and extravagant food.
The Flagpole is dedicated to JimDaddy.
Greystone's mailing address switches from Tuxedo, NC to Zirconia, NC.
The diving-well pool is added to the swimming area, expanding the many water activities offered at Greystone.
Margaret Broadbent Miller is honored at Council Fire, being tapped into the Permanant Honor Council.
Greystone celebrates its 90th summer!
Campers are no longer able to receive packages at camp as Greystone goes Package-Free.
An official library is added to White Hall.
Jim "JimDaddy" Miller III dies in January. The Great Day Fund camper scholarship program is established in his memory.
The Putt Cove docks receive a complete renovation, creating updated space for the kayaking and sailing programs.
Greystone's property is put in a Land Conservation trust, protecting the facility for future generations of Greystone girls.
Campers take a Jimboy Big Head around the world, sending in pictures of where all Jimboy traveled during the year.
Libby Miller passes the Council Fire and Opening Vespers torch to Jimboy Miller.
Greystone no longer allows visitors or trips out of camp with parents, as camp goes Visitor-Free.
Main Campers experience the Summer Of Rain, in which it rained every single day of Main Camp.
Greystone's kitchen begins a zero-waste program and starts composting, continuing many of Greystone's green initiatives.
Farm and Garden becomes a new class. Campers grow vegetables and take care of the camp chickens.
Skee Ball machines are added under the Dining Hall.
Ice Huts are also added around the campus. These Huts provide free snacks for campers during classes, as well as a place to refill a waterbottle.
Camp purchases Bear Mountain, adding hundreds of acres of mountain property just ten minutes from Greystone.
Greystone re-purchases Thunderhead and begins its trail riding and overnight program there once again.
In September, Libby Hanna Miller dies.
Greystone celebrates its 100th summer!