This is one of our most savory, comforting “special-occasion” meals at camp, and it will fancy-up any old weekday night for you as well. Fair-warning: this is not a 20 minute meal! It’s a labor of love that completely pays off in the end product. So put on a great playlist, grab a family member, and spend some time in the kitchen tonight. We know you’re going to love this one as much as we do!
- 1 lb chicken breasts or cutlets
- Salt and Pepper
- 3+ T olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup strong chicken stock
- 3T capers
- 1 small lemon peeled, seeded and pith removed
- 2 T butter
- 2 T parsley
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 T butter
- 1 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded
- Parmesan cheese
- Chicken: If using chicken breasts: cut down into thin cutlets. Pound cutlets with meat tenderizer or mallet until very thin. We recommend covering the chicken with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel before tenderizing to contain the mess.
- Dredge chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper, then refrigerate until cold.
- Heat 3 T of olive oil in frying pan. Pan fry the chicken until brown (2-3 mins per side). Add more oil between batches as necessary. Remove the
chicken and pour off any excess oil.
- Sauté garlic in pan. Add wine and chicken stock and boil until it reduces to about 1/3. Stir in capers and lemon. Bring to a boil and stir
in butter and parsley until sauce thickens.
- Risotto: Cover dried mushrooms in water to rehydrate. Let sit until needed.
- Sauté onions in butter and olive oil. Add rice to pan and sauté until butter and olive oil are mostly absorbed (3-4 minutes).
- Add chicken broth 1 cup at a time, stirring between each cup until broth is absorbed. Half way through adding the chicken stock, add all the mushrooms, including the liquid from the rehydrated mushrooms.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly until the rice is cooked to your liking. Before serving, stir in 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Serve: Start with risotto and top with chicken. Pour chicken sauce over top. Enjoy!